Sunday, February 28, 2010

7 Questions For: Author Kristan Higgins

Kristan Higgins is the author of Fools Rush In, Catch of the Day, Just one of the Guys, and Too Good to be True. Here is her official biography: “Kristan lives with her family in a small Connecticut town that boasts a wonderful library, a great agricultural fair, a really good ice cream stand and not much else. She is the mother of two lovely kids and the wife of a brave firefighter who is, perhaps more importantly, a fantastic cook. Pets include a cheerful Lab mutt, two cats and the occasional, short-lived beta fish. Previously a copywriter, Kristan began writing fiction when her children graced her life with simultaneous afternoon naps. Writing, she found, was infinitely more satisfying than folding laundry, and so began her first novel. Kristan holds a BA in English from the College of the Holy Cross, which enables her to identify dangling participles and quote many great novels. Kristan and her crew spend as much time as possible at the family home on Cape Cod, where they shiver in the Atlantic, ride bikes, swat horseflies and don't catch any fish.” 

 And now Kristan Higgins faces the 7 Questions:


Question Seven: What are your top three favorite books?

Abide with Me by Elizabeth Strout
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx


Question Six: How much time do you spend each week writing? Reading?

Too much time writing, not enough reading...I write five or six hours a day, read maybe 1-2. Argue with my imagination about 19 hours a day...


Question Five: What was the path that led you to publication?

I always loved romance novels, wanted to stay at home with my kids and so wrote a book I thought would sell. I'd always written for a living (ad agencies, PR, that kind of thing), so the jump to fiction wasn't that far for me. Wrote a manuscript, spent lots of time revising and polishing it, came up with a killer query letter and got an agent, who then sold the book. It's not the usual path, but I had a leg up, having been a writer for 12 years already, so please don't throw sticks at me.


Question Four: Do you believe writers are born, taught or both? Which was true for you?

Oh, both, definitely. I'm always open to learning new things about writing. That being said, you really can't learn creativity...craft, sure, but the inspiration...nope.


Question Three: What is your favorite thing about writing? What is your least favorite thing?

I love when my manuscript comes to life. I dislike the wrestling that comes before that! I love revising, because that's when my manuscripts become really good. And I love fan mail!


Question Two: What one bit of wisdom would you impart to an aspiring writer? (feel free to include as many other bits of wisdom as you like)

Keep trying, keep learning, try new techniques and don't quit till you get the results you want.


Question One: If you could have lunch with any writer, living or dead, who would it be? Why?

Dr. Seuss. I think the reason is self explanatory. :-)


Actual Interview Date: 11/16/2009


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, Esteemed Reader! And thanks for taking the time to comment. You are awesome.