Sunday, February 28, 2010

7 Questions For: Author Scott Appleton

Here is the official bio from Mr. Appleton's website:

"Scott Appleton grew up in the northeast corner of Connecticut.

Homeschooled right through high school, he developed a love for reading and writing from his mother and a love for science from his father. In high school he became involved with an astronomy group out of North Scituate, Rhode Island. His first published piece was an article for their newsletter. Upon graduating from high school at seventeen he traveled to Thailand as a student missionary and stayed for three months, journeying into the Kingdom of Cambodia and through the People's Republic of Laos. Upon his return to the United States he studied Math and English at a community college and later obtained a certificate in Creative Editing through an online course.

Over the course of several years he created the Sword of the Dragon series and published multiple news articles, as well as works of poetry, and short fiction. Currently he works as a freelance reporter, editor, and fiction writer. Also, he is engaged to the most beautiful girl on the planet who shares his hopes and dreams and his love for the Lord."

I had the good fortune of bumping into Scott Appleton at a book signing. I was so pleased to get the chance to talk with him and purchase a signed copy of The Sword of the Dragon. Mr. Appleton is an up and coming fantasy writer to watch.

And now Scott Appleton faces the 7 Questions:


Question Seven: What are your top three favorite books?

Favorites questions are difficult for me. I was homeschooled through high school and my parents fed my love of reading. At one point I averaged at least twenty books read per month. I'm a big fan of old English-type works. Homer's The Iliad, Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress, and the King James Version of The Bible printed 1611. I collect old books, particularly of historical significance. I like to use historical references as my inspiration in my novels. For example, the end of one of the traitors in Swords of the Six was inspired by the biblical account of the death of Israel's king Saul.


Question Six: How much time do you spend each week writing? Reading?

When I'm not engaged with book signings and/or speaking engagments I aim for 2,000-words per day. At this time I do not have a lot of reading time. I've found that by reading too many books in my genre I have greater difficulty getting back in the groove with my writing.


Question Five: What was the path that led you to publication?

While submitting to and receiving numerous rejections from magazines and publishing houses, I honed my craft and read books on writing and publishing. One of the most helpful books I found was Dave King and Renni Brown's *Self-editing for the Fiction Writer*. Eventually my first short stories were accepted for publication and from there things snowballed.


Question Four: Do you believe writers are born, taught or both? Which was true for you?

Writers are raised or mentored, in my opinion. Without an encouraging, supportive group of family and friends I would not be where I'm at today. I strongly believe that what you feed your mind is going to directly influence the fruit of your life; I read lots and fed my creative.


Question Three: What is your favorite thing about writing? What is your least favorite thing?

I love to write. The creative process, mulling over the story and seeking ways to strengthen it, writing the story that matters to me, it is my passion. I'd have to say my least favorite thing would be the editing process.


Question Two: What one bit of wisdom would you impart to an aspiring writer? (feel free to include as many other bits of wisdom as you like)

Take critisism gracefully and learn from it; be teachable. Too many aspiring authors have come to me and taken offense when I gave them an honest critique of their work. Also, educate yourself about the writing and publishing process. Read, read, read and then study all aspects of the publication process. The road to publication is a difficult one; grow with it. And, most importantly, write for the love of it.


Question One: If you could have lunch with any writer, living or dead, who would it be? Why?

This is a hard one. I'd have to say Albert Marrin. He wrote a series of biographies on the America Civil War. His books were accurate and he paid amazing attention to detail. My first choice would have been Bryan Davis author of Dragons In Our Midst, but your question seems to be a wish, and I already have had that privilidge. He is a superb writer and has an amazing grasp of telling a story that conveys spiritual truths.


Actual Interview Date: 12/14/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, Esteemed Reader! And thanks for taking the time to comment. You are awesome.